Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Alopecia Areata

A few weeks ago, I was messing with my hair and noticed a bald spot! I quickly showed Victor and asked, "Is that a bald spot on my head?" Unfortunately, he said, "Yes, about the size of a quarter." Once we were home, I checked it out in the mirror and had Victor take a picture of my head so I could actually see the bald spot. Yep! There it was, a big bald spot about the size of a half dollar! I was upset and began researching hair loss on the Internet.
Let me back up a bit, I had Brooklynn 18 months ago. After having her my hair began falling out (pretty normal after having a baby) but, it never stopped! So for about the past 18 months my hair has been thinning and falling out.
The next day, Sunday, I went to the clinic below our apartment. I was prepared to be told I had a vitamin deficiency and may need some blood work. However, the doctor took one quick look at the spot and said, "Oh, that's Alopecia Areata!" He began talking about treatment (steroid injections) but, I would first need to see a dermatologists to confirm. I was in shock and a bit overwhelmed. I didn't ask many questions (I didn't want to cry at the doctor's office) but, began reseaching as soon as I got home.
Alopecia Areata is a disease that causes your immune system to mistakenly attack hair follicles, resulting in hair loss. I was very thankful this wasn't life-threatening and God gave me an overwhelming peace. But, still the thought of loosing your hair is depressing.
I have started taking pre-natal vitamins and have an appointment to see the dermatologists on May 27.
I wasn't planning to share this on my blog. However, I couldn't help but want to share after last night. I was checking out the "spot" and for others and thought I felt a few hairs growing!! When Victor got home, I got him to check. PRAISE HIM!! Sure enough I have tiny hairs growing in my bald spot! I am in awe of God and how quickly He has allowed the hairs to regrow!
Over the past few weeks I have become very fond of a particular verse my friend Sara shared with me.



2 comments:

  1. that's crazy! Maybe you caught it early, if that's possible. Praying for you though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe you'll get it on your legs but be healed everywhere else???

    ReplyDelete